FREE Webinar on Friday, Oct. 14, 2016 @ 2:00 – 3:30 pm EST
Please join the Nuestras Voces (Our Voices) National Hispanic Network to Reduce Tobacco-Related and Cancer Health Disparities, and its sibling Network, LGBT HealthLink, for our next scheduled webinar, Connecting Hispanic LGBT Communities with Health Care: A Focus on Smoking Cessation and Cancer Screening Services. This webinar is FREE and open to all, but requires registration.
Hispanics who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) often have difficulty identifying culturally appropriate health care. Addressing the challenge of improving access to health services that reflects the intersectionality of being both Hispanic and LGBT requires an understanding of the background and cultural factors of this priority population. Due to the higher rates of smoking in the LGBT community, as well as higher rates of certain cancers among Hispanics, these two health areas require a special emphasis.
During this webinar we will learn more about efforts to connect the Hispanic LGBT community with culturally proficient health services. Advocates and policy experts in the fields of immigration policy, civil rights, and LGBT services will discuss proven strategies that are advancing these public health priorities in Hispanic communities. Guest speakers include:
- Yanira Arias, Alianza Americas
- Ruby Corado, Casa Ruby LGBT Community Center
- Francisco Duenas, Proyecto Igualdad, Lambda Legal
As a result of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Understand Hispanic LGBT intersectionality and associated health disparities relative to culturally proficient health care services.
- Assess how immigration status and other vulnerabilities influence cancer screening and tobacco cessation/smoke free services for the Hispanic LGBT population.
- Identify strategies and other promising practices that connect LGBT Hispanics with culturally proficient care and services that can be replicated in other settings.
The registration page for this webinar can be found here.
Learn more details about LGBT HealthLink and the Nuestras Voces Network’s efforts to address tobacco and cancer-related health disparities here
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. We look forward to having you join us for this important webinar presentation.