NPR correspondent, Shankar Vedantam reported that, “only about 60% of the county has comprehensive smoking bans, a study like this is a good call for the remaining 40% of the county to enact bans.” Link: https://www.npr.org/2017/12/06/568755957/evaluating-smoking-bans Overview: http://www.nber.org/papers/w23995 Full paper: http://www.nber.org/papers/w23995.pdf
CLICK HERE FOR FULL ARTICLE FROM PubMed.gov Abstract Introduction: Effective February 2017, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development published a rule requiring each public housing agency to implement a smoke-free policy within 18 months. This study assessed the prevalence and determinants of favorability toward smoke-free public housing among U.S. adults. Methods: Data from […]
ORIGINAL FULL ARTICLE FROM PubMed.gov HERE Quitlines appear to be reaching minority populations; however, overall reach remains low and variations of quitline reach exist by race/ethnicity. ORIGINAL FULL ARTICLE FROM PubMed.gov HERE
The U.S. Surgeon General has concluded that there is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Previous CDC reports on airport smoke-free policies found that most large-hub airports in the United States prohibit smoking; however, the extent of smoke-free policies at airports globally has not been assessed. The findings from this study show that […]
CLICK HERE TO VIEW FULL MMWR REPORT Abstract Problem/Condition: Rural communities often have worse health outcomes, have less access to care, and are less diverse than urban communities. Much of the research on rural health disparities examines disparities between rural and urban communities, with fewer studies on disparities within rural communities. This report provides an overview […]
ORIGINAL ARTICLE BY Where We Live, AARP Livable Communities HERE By painting the town red (and other colors), artists are helping keep Alaskan waters clean Storm drains from the streets of Fairbanks empty directly into the Chena River, a habitat for moose, beaver, fish, and migratory birds. Unfortunately, many people mistakenly believed the drains connect […]
ORIGINAL ARTICLE FROM Star Tribune by Allie Shah HERE The players stood on the field in a circle, passing burning sage to one another. One by one, they waived their lacrosse sticks over the thick, sweet-smelling smoke. Then they faced off, ready to start play on a recent Sunday at Corcoran Park in Minneapolis. Sasha […]
(Rapid City, SD) The program coordinator for the Great Plains Good Health and Wellness Program (GPGHW), Eugene Giago was awarded the Area/Regional Impact Award from the National Indian Health Board (NIHB). NIHB represents Tribal governments—both those that operate their own health care delivery systems through contracting and compacting, and those receiving health care directly from […]
ORIGINAL ARTICLE BY Katie Pearce of John Hopkins University HERE A baby’s first laugh, in Navajo culture, is cause for formal celebration. Whoever provokes that milestone moment wins the privilege of hosting a “first laugh ceremony” to mark the infant’s full arrival into the earthly world. “That laugh sounds to the world, ‘This is me […]
Attending any of these upcoming events? Have other events to share? Let us know! Email us at NNN@ITCMI.ORG to share your event information or to get on our list serve for event updates.
WEBINAR -- "BRCA Genetics in The News: What Do I Do Next?" -- Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 8 p.m. EST. -- The webinar features Sharsheret's own Genetics Program Coordinator, Peggy Cottrell, MS, CGC, who will explore the latest critical genetics research, decode BRCA and other genetic mutations, and help us understand what steps we need to take next. A Sharsheret peer supporter will share her personal story and a live question and answer session will follow the presentation. We are proud to partner with FORCE on this presentation! To register for the webinar or to share the webinar with others in your network, CLICK HERE. Feel free to share widely. If you have any questions, please contact Support Program Coordinator Shira Kravitz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-866-474-2774.
FUNDING OPPORTUNITY - Public Health Institute is accepting applications for the National Leadership Academy for the Public's Health from teams in the Appalachian and Mid-regions of the United States. "For communities that are engaged in cross-sector work to improve the public health, this is an opportunity to boost your team's capacity and skills through a community leadership process." Deadline January 12, 2018 - LEARN MORE
It's About a Billion Lives Symposium -- February 2, 2018, 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. - University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA - SAVE THE DATE - LEARN MORE
Funding Opportunity - Robert Wood Johnson Foundation - Policies for Action: Policy and Law Research to Build a Culture of Health - HERE